My blog setup has bothered me for some time. Now I have finally finished the replacement! Previously this blog ran on an outdated version of WordPress. Now its just a bunch of HTML files, generated from Markdown with a few scripts, served statically from Apache.
The main problem with the old blog was the spam. I would get hundreds of moderation requests every day. In the new blog I use Disqus to handle the comments instead. It's a free service that lets you add comments to any page, including static ones! They also support importing from WordPress.
I didn't use the editing features in WordPress much since I usually wrote my posts in Emacs before putting them on the blog. Now that I have no need for the dynamic features anymore, I can replace my blog by a bunch of static HTML files. Which I just did.
By serving static files I have less security issues to worry about. The fewer packages I have to keep up to date the better, and now I can cross PHP, MySQL, and WordPress off the list. Should I want to move the blog to a new server it is easy to do: just copy the files.
This new blog has actually been in the works for quite some time. I started working on it maybe two or three years ago, but I never managed to finish it until now. It is a hack, but it works the way I like it. It's built with
- Markdown files for the post texts
- JSON files for blog and post meta-data
- Mustache template files
- SASS style sheets
- a few Bash and Python scripts
- a few command line tools: mustache and jq
- and a Makefile.
Once I have cleaned up the blog code some more, I will wrap it up in a git repository and push it to GitHub. There are a few more changes that I should really make, like adding feeds, but I believe this is good for now. Most importantly, I removed the obstacle that kept me from writing for so long.
Update: The blog code is now available on GitHub.
Update: This site now has an Atom feed.
Comments are hosted on the same server as this blog. The server resides in the EU and no data is shared with third parties.